We can’t stop breathing, but we can do something about the quality of our air ||
Join us for the Commemoration of World Environment Day ( يوم البيئة العالمي ) to raise the awareness about air pollution, its causes and what action we can take to #BeatAirPollution.
World Environment Day is celebrated annually worldwide on 05 June since it began in 1974.
2019 Theme: #BeatAirPollution ||
Nine out of ten people breathe polluted air. We are calling on everyone to join the Mask Challenge. Face masks are a great symbol to show leaders we want to breathe clean air.
Often you can’t even see it, but air pollution is everywhere. With every breath, you are probably sucking in tiny particles that attack your lungs, heart and brain. World Environment Day 2019 is issuing a call to action to combat this global crisis.
We are faced with an urgent task. Nine out of ten people worldwide are exposed to levels of air pollutants that exceed World Health Organization safe levels. Around seven million people worldwide die prematurely each year from air pollution with about four million of these deaths occurring in Asia-Pacific. Air pollution causes a host of other problems, including illness and lower IQs. It doesn’t just impact human health and economic growth. Many of the pollutants also cause global warming.
Air pollution is preventable, but we need everyone on board – from individuals and organizations to private companies and governments.
The people’s day
Above all, World Environment Day is the “people’s day” for doing something to take care of the Earth. That “something” can be local, national or global. It can be a solo action or involve a crowd. Everyone is free to choose.
Decide what action you are going to take to #BeatAirPollution
Here are some examples:
- Use public transport or car sharing, cycle or walk
- Switch to a hybrid or electric vehicle and request electric taxis
- Turn off the car engine when stationary
- Reduce your consumption of meat and dairy to help cut methane emissions
- Compost organic food items and recycle non-organic trash
- Switch to high-efficiency home heating systems and equipment
- Save energy: turn off lights and electronics when not in use
- Choose non-toxic paints and furnishings..
Make a pledge and challenge others to take action
May 24th – June 4th
- Take a photo or video of yourself wearing a mask to post on social media. Don’t have a mask?
- Get creative and make your own!
- In your post share the action you’ll take to reduce air pollution
- Tag 3 people/organizations/ companies to challenge them to do the same.
- Use #WorldEnvironmentDay and #BeatAirPollution in your social media posts and don’t forget to tag @UNEnvironment